Job BoardA job opportunity in the Pittsburgh School District for bilingual speakers: Under the immediate direction of the teacher, the position of Educational Assistant III is responsible for the supervision and instruction of ESL (English as a Second Language) students. The ESL Educational Assistant III will support instructional activities in both the ESL classroom and mainstream, as appropriate, with teacher guidance. Written and oral proficiency in English and Chinese is a prerequisite for this position.
In addition to four days of school-based professional responsibilities, district level translation and interpretation will be required one day a week in the ESL Office. This could include, but not be limited to, document translation, phone calls, video and audio recording, and interpreting at school-based meetings and events. Accurate record keeping of all translation work and travel to schools, as needed, will be required.
Reports To: Principal
Salary: Paraprofessional Salary Schedule (starting at $3,061/month)
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- A High School diploma or equivalent is required.
- At least sixty (60) college credits in a related area are also required.
- Written and oral proficiency in English and Chinese is a prerequisite for this position
- Experience working with students where English is their second language, specifically Chinese, is preferred.
- Vocational experience in an urban setting is preferred.
- Familiarity with various student assistive devices is also preferred.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assisting the classroom teacher with the use of instructional materials and technology
- Making phone calls, arranging meetings, and facilitating other related parent outreach
- Maintaining confidentiality when discussing individual students and/or families
- Implementing culturally responsive instructional techniques with ESL students
- Utilizing culturally responsive behavioral strategies with ESL students
- Assisting the teacher with class preparation and/or lesson implementation
- Supporting ESL instruction in small student groups as needed
- Adhering to all building level duties and responsibilities
- Preparing and organizing teacher materials and classroom supplies as necessary
- Supervising and assisting students in the completion of their assignments
- Monitoring students in the classroom, at lunch, and at recess, as well as in transit from one area to another
- Assisting with the implementation of the prescribed course of ESL study and behavior management plans for each student
- Assisting in completion of all clerical duties
- Assisting with student transportation, such as meeting a cab outside or assisting students with boarding the correct school bus
- Assisting in the maintenance and care of equipment
- Assisting on fields trip